Food and Drinks
/
Zeedijk

Butcher Vet since 1955

Food and Drinks / Zeedijk
Zeedijk 99
klantenservice@slagerijvet.nl

We are a real butcher’s family.

Huib Vet established the family business on the Zeedijk in Amsterdam in 1955.

The little butcher
Before Huib Vet took over the building on the Zeedijk number 99, it was owned by a jeweler. In relation to the jeweler, Mr. Vet was small in stature. Soon Mr. Vet was known in the neighborhood as the small butcher on the zeedijk. This is why the name ” t kleine slagertje ‘was born, which is still on the shop window to this day.

Four generations
Huib Vet Sr. is the founder of Slagerij Vet in 1955.
After some years he transferred the company to his two sons named, Huib Vet and Klaas Vet.
The current owner is Huib Vet, son of Klaas vet.
Meanwhile, the fourth generation, Rik Vet has entered the company.

Zeedijk in Amsterdam
The Zeedijk in Amsterdam has a colorful history. The Zeedijk was constructed as a dike to protect Amsterdam from the water of the IJ, which until 1872 was still in connection with the Zuiderzee. In the curve of the Zeedijk it is very noticeable that the street follows the course of the old dike.

The area is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Amsterdam. In 1544 the first fixed street lighting (candle lantern) of Amsterdam was placed on the Zeedijk. The bend of the Zeedijk was one of the most respectable places to live in until the 17th century. After the construction of the luxurious Herengracht, the wealthy merchants moved and the area became an entertainment area for sailing sailors. The old cafes and the stores for ship supplies still reminds us of that time.

The Zeedijk runs parallel to the eastern border of the red light district. From the 19th century, the “Wallen” developed into the red light district of Amsterdam and the number of catering establishments increased. Although a lot of money was earned, no investments were made. The Zeedijk became neglected and run down. In the 1970s, the street was notorious as a center of drug trafficking and for many years it was a no-go area for many.

At the insistence of the local residents, the municipality took over this part of Amsterdam and the Economic Recovery Center Zeedijk was founded (1985). The NV was partly financed by private parties and was therefore a form of public-private partnership. By buying properties from private owners and subsequently leasing the business premises to legitimate entrepreneurs, they succeeded in breaking the negative spiral.

After re-development of actions by the municipality, the street was slowly rising up. The drug trade largely disappeared. With the establishment of Chinese people in the neighborhood, the street became the center of Amsterdam’s Chinatown. Since 2000, the Buddhist He Hua Temple is located at number 108 – 116.

Read More
2nd hand Furniture
Accessoires
Art
Bars
Books
Breakfast
China town
Chinese
Clothing
Delivery
Education
Fashion
Film
Gay
Lunch
Market
Memorial
Museum
Muziek
Park
Reizen
Restaurant
Slager
Sport
Supermarkt
Tentoonstelling
Thai
Theater
Vintage
Wifi
Zoo