The house where Rembrandt lived between 1639 and 1658, is a museum now: Museum Het Rembrandthuis. The building was built around 1606 in what is now called the Jodenbreestraat. In the new housing estate where many wealthy merchants and artists settled. Around 1627 the house was extended with a floor and, very modern, a gable with triangular pediment. When Rembrandt lived there, he was depressed an lost all his money. In 1658 the building was auctioned with all contents and Rembrandt had to go to a rented house on the Rozengracht. The building, now divided into two residential houses, fell into disrepair. If Rembrandt had not lived there, it would most probably have been demolished.
In 1906, the municipality of Amsterdam bought the dilapidated building and transferred it to the Rembrandt House Foundation, which was established in 1907. The house was restored under the guidance of architect K.P.C. the Basel. The restoration was completed in 1911, after which Queen Wilhelmina opened the museum.
Open daily from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.