On 15 June 2014 Het Kleinste Huis opened its doors, a tea and ceramics boutique with specialties from Dutch soil, located in the smallest house in Amsterdam.
The Smallest House offers you a choice of fresh teas, pre-packaged tea, tea accessories and tea service on just 9m2. We also have a wonderful assortment of delicacies such as chocolate, honey, nougat, fudge and liqueur. On the first floor is recently a new surprise: the smallest tea room in Amsterdam!
Tea tasting takes place in this room. In an intimate atmosphere, up to five people can also enjoy breakfast or lunch, a modest Thé Gourmand, an extensive High Tea, a special menu around the holidays or a tea course. All the packages are based on one or more special teas from the shop and patisserie from their own kitchen. Obviously of high quality.
The smallest house in Amsterdam is located at the Oude Hoogstraat 22 in the old center of Amsterdam, right next to the East Indian House and the gateway to the Walloon Church. The cottage, also referred to by some as the ‘Smallest House in Europe’ , is 2.02 meters wide and 5 meters deep. With its characteristic spout facade, this house represents a miniature version of a typical Amsterdam canal house.
The smallest house in Amsterdam is registered as a national monument.
The smallest house in Amsterdam is located on the edge of the former site of the Paulusbroederklooster. In 1550 a part of the site was sold to ‘De Stadt Amsterdam’ which built the Bushuis. Later, in 1603, the Amsterdam Chamber of the VOC took a part of the Bush House into use as a warehouse. In 1604, in addition to the Bushuis, the construction of the East Indian House started in 1606.
Right next to the house is one of the most famous gates of Amsterdam: the gateway to the Walloon Church. This gate, built in 1616, is by the architect Hendrik de Keyser (1565-1621) and served as a passage for funeral services.
The Oude Hoogstraat is originally a shopping street. At numbers 20 and 22 there was until 1733 a building with the name ‘King David’. This building was demolished to make way for a new building: the current building with house number 20. At that time the municipality took over the remaining piece of land of 10 square meters. On this land later the smallest house in Amsterdam was built: the current number 22.
In 1738, the first report is made of the house. ‘De Stadt’ paid the first tax for the location on which the house stands. In 1742 the cottage was rented for 150 guilders a year to (standing) watchmaker Jan Tenking .
Although the house now has two floors and a loft, the house consisted in the early years only from a ground floor. Between 1768 and 1787 the current floors and lofts have been added.
This house is not the narrowest house in Amsterdam. That house (which is even called ‘the narrowest house in the world’) is on Singel 7.