The Orangery is a centuries-old national monument. As early as 1715, tropical plants were cultivated in wooden greenhouses at this location. The current Orangery was built in 1875 as a lecture hall. The elongated, plastered building was named after the wintering place for citrus fruits: ‘orange trees’.
The building has now been used as a café for garden visitors for many years. Surrounded by many special and exotic plants, it has one of the most beautiful terraces in Amsterdam. Visitors to the Hortus can enjoy (hot) coffee, pastries from Kuyt and tasty organic sandwiches and salads during the day. Where possible, we work with organic products.
Coffee and cake action: from 10 am to 11 am.
For € 5.50 you get a choice of cakes and a cup of tea or coffee of your choice.
Lunch package: from 12.00 to 15.00.
A three-course lunch with a ticket for € 32.50 (payable at the entrance)
The Hortuscafé is only accessible to visitors of the garden. The Orangery is also available for dinners, parties and meetings.
1994 – 2003 Restoration monument Orangery Hortus Botanicus, Amsterdam (source: Architectenburo Gernand & de Lint)
The Orangery of the Hortus was for years packed with a steel corset on the outside to prevent subsidence. The building did not serve as Orangery anymore, there was a simple museum café.
The monument from 1870 was on the garden side covered with centuries old grape plants. One of the challenges for our work was to preserve it. During the renovation work was temporarily halted for an archaeological investigation. Old foundations, water cellars and a firing hovel with kiln of greenhouses from the 18th century were found and recorded. The building received a new foundation and steel skeleton on the inside. The windows and doors in the façades were carefully restored and the existing ornaments of the façade were restored.
The museum café was expanded with an entresol, an open kitchen and an extra rentable room on the first floor. In the new concrete floor of the museum café two tree boxes have been included in which palms are placed. This work was carried out in collaboration with Edo Spier and Rogier Weijand for the interior.
The Orangery was completed in October 2003.